Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Galena



So, Drew and I signed up for the Galena triathlon, set to take place on May 21, 2011, in scenic Galena, Illinois. I've actually signed up for this race three times, but have finished only once - my very first triathlon, back in 2003. Since then, the race was cancelled because of thunderstorms, and I DNF'ed in 2009 (Cath had a tire melt-down, and I stopped to try and help, but the damage was too severe and we bailed).

But, despite the fact that I've only crossed the finish line once, it's a beautiful race - the scenery in that part of the state is lovely, and the course is very challenging. Rolling hills everywhere, on both the bike and run. And Galena, itself, is a cute little town, very popular as an antique-lovers destination and summer B&B getaway. Drew and I also like it, because it presents a nice early-season training weekend - the race is on Saturday, so, if you choose to spend an added night, you have half the day on Sunday to ride and run some more. I'm very much looking forward to it, and strongly recommend the race as a great way to kick off the tri season.

Unfortunately, May still seems like a million miles away, especially as Chicago got hammered with an epic blizzard last night, and more snow is falling today. I think they're expecting two feet of snow on the ground by the time it's over, so I guess the bike can keep sleeping in the closet. It'll be awhile before those two tires will be hitting the road. But, snow or no snow, the IM training plan starts on April 11. Can't wait!

3 comments:

  1. I saw the Chicago snowstorm on the news this morning. Yikes! As least can you can do indoor training?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you and Drew will have a special time post-race antiquing. Not that there is anything wrong with that. In fact, I have a cousin who went to Galena with his special friend many years ago and now thanks to Gov. Quinn they can finally get married. So to you and Drew, mazel tov!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ross, Drew and I have shared so many hotel rooms, I feel like we've been married for years!

    ReplyDelete