Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Plans are made to be...modified?


Well, I had a nice four-day weekend, filled mostly with training and napping. Friday, I started my day in the pool with 2200 yards (600, 500, 400, 300, 200, 100, 100 CD) and then went over to the LBS to have Cathy's tire fixed (i.e., source of the Galena fiasco). I was supposed to do some strength training after the swim, but I was starving and ended up going to Starbucks instead. (Perhaps an omen of what was to come over the course of the weekend...).

Saturday, Drew and I started our 90-minute run with Cath and her running group (she leads a marathon training group for work), and then finished it up by ourselves. Nothing very remarkable about the run - we kept a nice pace, and I felt good the whole time. Sunday, the Plan had us down for a 3 1/2 hour bike with a 30-minute brick. Based on the lengths, we decided to drive out to Palos (about 25 minutes out of the City) where the roads are generally in good condition and less crowded than the lakefront path. We parked at the old Tobaggen slides, which have recently been demolished in favor of a sledding hill, see photo), and started our ride.

Sadly, we got off on the wrong foot by getting a bit lost and ended up following a bunch of pothole-filled roads with a ton of Sunday-morning traffic. It was also pretty windy, which just added to a general feeling of "this-isn't-very-fun-and-not-at-all-what-we-were-expecting." Anyway, after a couple recon stops (thanks, iPhone!) we found our way to the tried-and-true route and completed our 35-mile loop in just under two hours. By that time, though, Cath's neck was feeling lousy - she threw it out a bit during a rest stop - and Drew wasn't feeling all that great on the bike, so we voted to modify the training day by ditching the rest of the ride and extending the brick. So, we racked the bikes and hit the trails. About an hour later, I had done the 8-mile loop and was pretty spent (I had forgotten how hard trail-running really is). All told, we did about three hours of exercise, but, somewhat inexplicably, it really felt like a ton more.

Monday, feeling a bit disappointed in Sunday's adventures, we traded in our regular rest day for another ride, this one just around the lakefront. Again, the wind kicked our asses, but we did another 35 miles in just over two hours (different terrain, but same time/distance...weird). Cath bricked the ride for 30 minutes, but I was spent and headed straight for the ice bath.

Today, I'm still feeling a bit worn out, but I hit pool this morning for 2200 yards before work (10 x 200, 200 CD). I felt pretty slow in the water, but otherwise not too bad. I'll wait until after work to see if I feel like doing the 60-minute run (with two, 6-minute pick-ups) that the Plan is calling for. I'd hate to miss the training, but I'm also a bit concerned about the idea of not having a rest day this week, so I guess I'll just go by feel.

That's it for now - hope you all had a great Holiday weekend!

1 comment:

  1. That's a cool picture. Sounds like you did a great job modifying the plan based on what the day served up. Gotta love the iPhone! :)

    ReplyDelete