Monday, May 4, 2009

Summer, is that you?

Wow, what a great weekend! The temps were absolutely perfect for exercise - a bit brisk in the shade, but wonderful when the sun hit, and there was plenty of sun. It seems like forever since we've had a day-ful of clear skies, and this weekend we got two (2) in a row. It's about time.

Saturday, Drew and I ran 90 minutes on the lakefront path (Cath had to work early, so we went stag). My legs felt a little fatigued for the first half, but the back end was great. Probably did 8:15 - 8:30s for most of it.

Sunday, the Plan called for a 2:30 ride, followed by a 15-minute brick, but Drew and I (Cath was, thankfully, unavailable to kick our asses again) decided to just do a straight three-hour ride and ditch the brick part. Again, I felt pretty flat for the first 15-20 miles (heart rate stayed firm at 129, despite feeling like I was working much harder), but additional nutrition along the way got me feeling a little more peppy. At least for stretches - it seemed like my energy was wholly tied to my gel-intake. Felt great after I had one, then would quickly sag again. Still need to do a better job of carb-loading the day before and/or getting a better brekky the morning of our longer training days.

The Plan backs off an hour of training this week, which is nice. Last week seemed to take a lot out of me. And it's a rest day today! And my beloved Pittsburgh Penguins play tonight!

Hopefully, it's the start of a very good week.

1 comment:

  1. So jealous you had the great weather! It was trainerville here, pouring rain and has been every day since.

    ReplyDelete