Friday, March 20, 2009

The week that was

Whew, I've had a crazy week at work - nothing particularly time-consuming or difficult, but just a series of minor pains-in-the-ass that kept piling up. There's something about living in a big city during the winter that just brings out the worst in people. Bad energy everywhere. Anywho, let's just say that I'm regretting our decision to be frugal this year and cut out the winter/spring getaway. My humble advice to y'uns: Never - I repeat - NEVER cut out the winter/spring getaway when you live in a city with a population greater than one million. Summer never comes fast enough, and the combonation of big-city attitude and cold weather can be maddening. Okay, mini-rant over.

Anywho, the training has been going well this week:

- Monday was a rest day, but Tuesday was a swim in the morning and run in the evening with my beautiful and talented wife. The weather was fantastic (except for the wind) - one of those days where you can just smell summer coming, and it feels weird not to be wearing fleece tights outside.

- Wednesday Cath and I took a 45-minute spin class together and followed it with 15 minutes of running on the track. The class was actually pretty hard, but I was able to run straight 8:00 min/miles pretty easily. My pace has been pretty pedestrian since my hamstring problems last year, so it was nice to see that my old legs have a little bit of kick left in them.

- Thursday I just did an easy 45-minutes on the trainer and stretched a bit.

- Today I did some strength training before work, and we're hitting the college pool for a "real" swim workout this evening.

We're tentatively planning on going out to the suburbs on Sunday for a ride, weather permitting. We trained out there quite a bit in 2006, and the rolling hills did wonders for developing ride fitness. Fingers crossed that winter is really on its way out...

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on the vacation. We weren't really planning on it, but then decided it was necessary.

    ReplyDelete